Pages

Thursday 7 August 2014

GOLDEN TICKETS

Imagine a Hotel where a tail coated gentleman opens the doors and when you walk in you can hear a murmur of voices over glasses clinking.People turn and smile at you as you try and elegantly discipline your body to walk up stairs trailing a path lightly touched by your hands on the curving wooden banister, and accept a smile and a glass of champagne as someone says congratulations and propels you into the celebration.

Venue: Fortnum and Mason. On the google maps for your reference, Piccadilly.

A hot hot tea and loads of Gin and Tonic had gotten me shiny tickets printed like business cards,a service rendered with a smile that directly delivered me to this cocktail Venue.

I should remember to smile often, and practice a genuine one for like eight hours at least may be then the lady with the 18 Golden tickets(what does she do????) will feel me at the rung below her count. But still here I was.

‘Ismein kitna mileage milega?’, (how much mileage for my money, loosely translated) even the television advertisements mirror what my heart desired for the one year I photocopied and filed these tickets for appraisals where I felt like  a rock star. But I am not the lone Mother Teresa floating around, just the ending ripple of a nationalistic desire for more out of less, so with a couple of golden tickets I wanted to fly around the world and leap back to Delhi and wear a crown for the rest of the year ,at the very least.

Apparently this desire is a global Trend as Frank Van Der Post also joked that for the question that everyone asks, “what do you do with these golden ticket winners?So I say, go out tonight and enjoy at British Airways expense,something that doesn’t happen often”, Hands spread he was master of ceremonies with a Cheery twist.

He also cracked a few world cup jokes which wafted over my head, what sunk in was, eat all you want.

And mind you, every one of the guests along with our esteemed gold plated guests and awardees irrespective of nationality laughed loud at the remark, witty Gentleman Frank, had broken the Ice.

The only problem was,eat what?Variety was an understatement for small food called canapes.

I have a tendency to generally encompass what’s written and let the details follow later, so I was en route to the gala evening, dressed in magenta finery of draped six meters, holding up my stomach, which was strumming food music, thinking roast  chicken at least.

Marilou the gentle Mexican ICC sharing my cab was the receiver of all my hungry groans. I did say gentle, so that was how she broke the news to me about the canape’s overtaking the dinner photographs in my mind. She obviously reads an invite better than me.

So there I pull back to where I was wondering what to eat. I decided to attack Canapés following a thorough inspection.

Maybe you could not miss my magenta streak across the room and that is how Amy walked up to us ( Me and Marilou)with an inviting smile, My dress was literally screaming I’m from your Team, She pulled us into the worldwide Crew cocoon.

And also, see I need to document these things , so we accosted Amy and got some selfies, which weren’t very flattering at least to me, clicked.

After meeting everyone I was again back on my agenda, as the chief said enjoy, who am I to flout orders.

I ate delicately perched salmon on crackers, I ate peas out of little glasses with silver spoons. I substituted Pimms with Champagne,(Sacrilege I know).Sparkling water with Ice and twist of lemon and circled with a crowd that puts money under our wings.

I got Loads of photographs clicked where whenever the shutter went down I was caught thinking, should I smile showing my teeth or should I just make a curve with out them, thankfully just my Back featured in the Publicized cover, otherwise I would be hiding all under BA sofa’s in every briefing hereafter.

I walked in following the tail of a coat and walked out holding my Sari to save me from floating instead of walking out.

I still nurture desires of zipping free around the world on my tickets, but a ticket to an event like this is also a pat that I don’t want to shy away from.

I’m rejuvenated and feel felicitated and if this was a speech like the Oscars, thankful to BA for letting me in on the secret that Canapés can indeed fill your stomach and the elusive tickets do shine a path to glittery ends. So I will be serving hotter teas with warmer smiles, to see what next.

No comments:

Post a Comment